I’ll be giving a free talk for men (only) next week on relational intelligence a.k.a. emotional intimacy. My friend and colleague, Francesca Blackstock, will also be giving a talk on tantric approaches to sex and intimacy. You’ll get 2 perspectives – male and female!
Over the last 60 years, women have changed. Men have not. Today’s women are demanding a level of relational intelligence (emotional intimacy) that most men are unable to deliver. We have a 43% divorce rate in Canada and 70% of those divorces are initiated by women. Women are much less happy than men in marriages. When men are unhappy it’s mostly because their wives are unhappy – an unhappy wife is an unhappy life.
Growing up, children soon learn that being a boy means “not being a girl.” Girls cry, they’re soft and gentle, they “share feelings,” they touch each other and they play together cooperatively. Girls have permission to be emotionally vulnerable, boys do not. Boys soon learn that to be “a boy” you have to shut down emotionally. You have to be invulnerable – tough. The resulting emotional trauma prevents men from having healthy relationships.
Here’s some of the highlights.
- what is “relational intelligence”
- how you’ve been programmed to be “masculine”
- why it’s hard for you for be strong and emotionally vulnerable
- why you get defensive and how it stops communication
- how your family or origin shapes your adult relationships
- how to stand up for yourself with kindness and compassion
- “couples aikido,” the relational art of diffusing conflict
- connecting at a deep, emotional and authentic level
Men, I sincerely hope you’ll be able to attend this talk this next week. It will change your relationship for the better. Feel free to pass this information on to other men! The details are below.